Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently asked legal questions about car accidents in Maryland.


What if the party at fault is uninsured?

Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM) is provided in all Maryland auto liability policies. In essence, the UM carrier stands in the shoes of the at fault driver’s carrier and will settle all claims.

Will my insurance premium increase if I use PIP or UM?

Under Maryland law no increase is allowed when PIP or UM is utilized.

How much can I recover in a personal injury claim, are there limits?

The amount available is of course based on the value of the claim. Recovery, however, is limited to the policy limits of the at fault driver’s liability coverage (primary coverage) or your Underinsured Coverage, should this coverage exceed the limit of the primary coverage. Your under-insured limit is normally the same as your UM which is normally the same as your Bodily Injury Liability limits. Note that the only under-insured coverage available to you is the amount that exceeds the primary coverage. Maryland also has a “cap” in regard to the amount recoverable for “pain and suffering” which varies depending upon the type of tort action (IE, wrongful death, medical malpractice, etc.)

What are the attorney’s fee and my costs in a personal injury case?

First of all, the consultation and evaluation of your case is free. Our fee is 33 1/3% of the gross recovery of a settlement for the personal injury claim – there is no retainer paid. Further, we do not take a fee for assisting in the property damage recovery and/or the PIP claim. Certain costs, such as police report fee, hospital records fee, initial filing fees if suit is instituted are usually advanced by our office and are reimbursed upon settlement. Should the occasion arise we may ask you to contribute in regard to certain extraordinary costs such as fees for accident reconstruction experts, medical experts, etc.

What is the Statute of Limitations?

An auto accident claim is a “tort” action and thus the three year statute applies. That means a law suit must be filed within three years of the date of accident.

What if ……. ?

Call me at (410)363-6848 or in Glen Burnie (410)590-6848 and we will answer any and all questions involving auto accidents.

Michael Freedman is a car accident lawyer serving Glen Burnie, Owings Mills and beyond with professional legal representation.

More Resources

car accident checklist

Accident Checklist

Print this handy checklist and keep it in your vehicle.

Baltimore car accident lawyer
Scroll to Top